Monday, November 21, 2011

Alienation

This past weekend, I attended a funeral service at a Catholic church. As has been the case every other time I've attended such a service, I've had some ... reservations about them. I hesitate to lambaste Catholics as a whole, as I'm sure there are variances at each church and that my observations may not be accurate for each and every community. But based on the experiences I've had personally, here's what I think.

My primary problem with the services is how exclusive they are. Non-Catholics, and especially non-Christians couldn't possibly feel included and welcomed into the services I've attended. Page numbers aren't listed, hymnal and service order books aren't always provided, much less referenced so that the irregular attender could read along and participate if they chose. As the family of the deceased, none of us were given a service order or even a hymnal. Had I not been a regular attender in a Lutheran community (which shares some of the liturgy with the Catholic service), I wouldn't have had any idea what was going on; my family, most of whom don't attend services regularly, likely felt the same way. The language used is lofty and what I would define as "Christianese" - it's hard to understand what's going on around you when you can't understand the words, and when they're not even printed on something for you to read, there's no way to keep up.

All of this contributes to an alienating culture. Those who are "in" on what's going on move through the service merrily; there's no problem for them and I'm sure they are comfortable and able connect with God (otherwise, why would they continue to attend?). But for the visitors, the people the community is presumably happy to have join them, the presence of God appears to be inaccessible, as they struggle to figure out what's happening. How could it not be?

This isn't to say that you necessarily have to understand every word to really engage in a faith service. I attended a Pentecostal service when I was in Africa. The language spoken was entirely Amharic (the Ethiopian national language). But the presence of God was palpable in that room; the congregation sung with their souls, and you didn't need to know what they were saying to know that they were praising God with every iota of their being.

But I can't help but feel that the way Western Catholics run their services is simply unfair. I don't understand a church culture that doesn't jump at the chance to include and welcome every visiting member. Maybe it's because I'm spoiled by belonging to a community whose greatest strength is its warmth. From my first day at Church of the Cross I've been welcomed as a family member. Pastor Lyle makes it a practice of our community to individually welcome and introduce new and visiting people every single Sunday. So this is what I've become accustomed to. This is how I feel we should be doing it.

There are other so-called "Christian" practices that I just can't comprehend (must less condone). Such as those people who stand on street corners or outside event centres holding signs and preaching at the masses. I have to wonder how effective this is. How many people come to know Christ this way? I'm put off by it, and I'm a Christian! I've been with unbelievers on more than one occasion who turn to me and say, "You're a Christian, right? Do you do this kind of stuff?" I feel like I have to do more explaining about why other Christians might act this way, rather than actually sharing my own faith and how I practice it.

But maybe I'm wrong. I speak from one person's perspective. I know there are members of my family who were at said funeral service who also read this blog; perhaps you had a different feeling? Maybe you agreed with me? Maybe you had other thoughts I haven't even considered? I'd love to hear what you "mused"!!

2 comments:

  1. Every time I go into a Catholic environment I feel excluded. The service we attended on Saturday confirmed that even though I am a believer in being an honourable person, I didn't get any warm fuzzies from the Priest whatsoever.

    I agree with you that if they want to have a congregation then they had better make visitors feel welcome or they will lose them. The "fear factor" about going to Hell doesn't cut it anymore.

    I know everyone needs something to believe in - then let's just believe in a better world with lots of room for improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi A.Carol! Thanks for commenting. Mandy and Frank have both responded as well, and it seems I was definitely NOT the only one feeling this way.

    It just makes me sad and frustrated that this is the perception attendees have of a "Christian" service. We're not all like that!!! It makes me want to scream when people have negative (or even non-positive) experiences like this; it's not indicative of our Church as a whole. It's NOT! But I know people will be less likely to repeat an experience they didn't connect with - that's just human nature.

    I've had so many people tell me about their negative experiences with Christians. And unfortunately, it's natural to associate these well-intentioned-but-poorly-acting people with God. I wish I could get the message out there that God isn't necessarily being well-represented! Don't judge a faith by its members... they're not perfect!

    ReplyDelete